Sunday, October 08, 2006

Happy Birthday Two Doves Photography!

On September 4, 2006, Two Doves Photography celebrated it's 8th birthday. Over the past 25 plus years the studio has had four different names. Here is the story behind it all:

The studio started without a name in 1981 in Murphysboro, Illinois. That's when I shot my first wedding. At that time the studio was just a hallway closet. It appeard that a business was about to transpire so the studio shortly became known as Curt's Photo. During the late seventies and early eighties I was a stringer photographer shooting for the Southern Illinoisan. I gained a lot of experience and confidence working for them. I started out just taking news worthy photos of people and then working up the courage to write stories to go along with pictures. At that time the business was taking baby steps!

In 1993 the studio name was changed to Photography by Curtis and I could see a definite growth taking place. In 1994 the studio once again changed its name. This time it was changed to Studio Ten 19. I thought I needed a more professional name instead of using my name. It was during that time that I actually had a working portrait studio and the business was really starting to take off. I was still living in Murphysboro.

On September 4, 1998, Two Doves Photography was born in Carbondale, Illinois. I had graduated to a bigger office, but lost the working studio do to the lack of space in my home. I worked even harder at helping the business grow. And it did.

Somewhere around the turn of the century I started shooting digital, along with film as my primary media. I was only shooting in digital because it was easier to upload images to my website. Several people tried their best to talk me out of shooting digital because they said that it would never catch on. Boy, were they wrong. Video was added to the business at this time.

I eventually moved the business out of my house and into the downtown area of Carbondale. I opened my downtown business on August 1, 2004. I had every intention of shooting film once I moved but never did. I had stocked up my frige with film but never used any of it. The film is still in the cooler. Laura, my first employee, actually introduced digital to the business as a total means of shooting photography. I am glad she did. She had more experience than me with digital so I learned a lot from her. One of these days I will drag out my film cameras and do a little shooting with them for old time sakes. Two Doves Photography is now total digital photography as well as digital video.

Another expansion for the studio is in the making. It has grown so much that it is running out of room. There are several new services that I want to add, but will need a bigger place.

A big heart felt thanks goes out to all of the family and friends of Two Doves Photography. Thanks for helping to make it what it is today. I could not have done any of this without your help. Thanks for your support.

Happy Birthday Two Doves Photography!

Curt

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday dear Two Doves! Happy Birthday to you!!!!! Now wheres the cake?????

Anonymous said...

Sorry, the cake is all gone!!!